Thursday, February 5, 2009

Double Object Pronouns

What happens if you want to have both direct and indirect object pronouns in the same sentence? The indirect object goes first.

Te los compramos. El mesero me los dio.
We bought them for you. The waiter gave them to me.

Remember that when a conjugated verb appears with an infinitive or an -ndo form, you have two choices. You can put the pronouns before the conjugated verb, or you can attach them to the infinitive or -ndo form, or an affirmative command. Either way, the sentences mean the same thing.

Me los vas a comprar. Vas a comprármelos.
You are going to buy them for me. You are going to buy them for me.

Me los estás comprando. Estás comprándomelos.
You are buying them for me. You are buying them for me.

For adding accents, count back three nouns on infinitives and four on progressives.

There is a special rule for verbs with two pronouns when both are third person. Change the indirect object pronoun to se.

Le pedí una servilleta al meser.
I asked the waiter for a napkin.

Se la pedí.
I asked him for it.

When you are in the city, you could take a stroll (dar una vuelta).
Podemos tambíen dar una vuelta por la ciudad.
We can also take a stroll around the city.

The verb ofrecer to offer is often used with an indirect object pronoun.
Le ofrecieron un trabajo.
They offered him a job.

No comments: